The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS) provides funding to support
staff professional development. The CAHSS Staff Professional Development Fund will provide
up to $1,000 per activity.
All regular staff members in the college are eligible to receive support from the CAHSS fund to
support a professional development activity once every two fiscal years. The professional
development activity must directly benefit the work you do for your department and the college.
Policies and Restrictions:
- Regular staff members are limited to one award per individual every two fiscal years.
- Funds can be used to cover costs related directly to professional development activities,
including registration fees, transportation, food, lodging and travel (when permitted) to
attend workshops, conferences, or webinars in accordance with state guidelines. Other
examples of how the funds may be used include training in new software and purchases
of specialized software.
- The fund does not support computer purchases or upgrades, for-credit course tuition, or
- Arrangements and purchases must follow and comply with USM and UMBC policies and
procedures, including required forms and protocols. If travel is involved, all travel must
be pre-approved through the UMBC Travel System.
Applications for Staff Professional Development Fund awards must include:
- A brief description of the activity and how it will benefit the applicant and the work they
are doing for the department and the college.
- If applicable, a list of funds being contributed from other sources. The Staff Professional
Development Fund is not intended to be used in lieu of other available funds. These may
include, but are not limited to, departmental support and other internal or external
funding, such as grants and Foundation accounts.
- If applicable, an explanation from the Chair or Director of how work commitments will
be covered during the applicant’s absence and the funds to be provided by the
Department or unit. (The chair need not attach an additional memo; completing the
Chair’s section of the application and their signature on the form indicates support for the
- Applications for the Staff Professional Development Fund should be submitted directly to
the CAHSS RT Business Services queue (menu options: Business Services > Staff
Professional Development Fund).
- Applications during the current fiscal year may be submitted at any time and must be
received by the Dean’s Office no less than ten (10) business days prior to the start date of
the activity. (All sections must be completed before the request is processed. Incomplete
forms will be returned to the Department and will result in a delay in the approval
- Requests to travel must be submitted through the Travel System for pre-approval in
advance of traveling.
- Receipts for travel costs must be submitted for reimbursement through the Travel System
within ten (10) business days following the conclusion of the event, in accordance with
USM and UMBC policy and procedures.