UMBC’s College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS) is pleased to announce the next round of the CAHSS Dean’s Research Fund (CDRF). This competitive funding opportunity is open twice per academic year and provides up to $5,000 to support the research endeavors of CAHSS tenured and tenure-track faculty and lecturers. Faculty on visiting or short-term appointments are not eligible to apply.
Funds will support developing or established scholarly and creative projects. Awarded funds will be available through the end of the following fiscal year (i.e. funds awarded in Academic Year 2021-2022 must be used no later than June 2023).Items that are eligible for CDRF funding include: travel, equipment, supplies, books, research participant costs, UMBC undergraduate or graduate student support, and other items necessary for research endeavors. No faculty salary support or course releases may be funded through this initiative. Funds supporting this initiative are provided by the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
Expected of recipients:
Following completion of the grant term, awardees will be required to provide evidence of work produced and a short report describing how funds were spent and how any equipment purchased has been designated for continued College use.
- Cover sheet: Chair’s signature and Applicant signature are required.
- Narrative: A narrative of up to 3 pages, written in non-technical language, providing a clear and concise statement of the aims and significance of the project, timeline, methods, and proposed outcome. Narratives should also indicate the current stage/phase of the research project. Texts exceeding the limit will not be considered.
- Budget: A one-page budget and a budget justification explaining how/why the requested funds would be spent. If the total need is greater than the amount requested, please explain the total expenses and whether and from what sources other funds have been or will be obtained. If funds will be used to hire student assistants, those students must be UMBC undergraduate or graduate students.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Limit one application per faculty member per funding cycle. Faculty may reapply in the fifth semester after receiving an earlier award. For example, if the grant is approved in Fall 2021, recipients may not reapply until Spring 2024.Proof of IRB approval, when appropriate, is required prior to funding.
Applications will be reviewed by the CAHSS Research Advisory Committee, which will make recommendations to the Dean. Proposals will be judged on:
- Quality of the proposed project
- Feasibility of the work
- How the project will benefit from CDRF assistance.
Completed proposals and supporting documents must be emailed as one pdf document directly to Box.
Spring: March 1, 2022 upload at: CDRF_Sp.firstname.lastname@example.org
All questions should be directed to Associate Dean Preminda Jacob (email@example.com)
Click here to download the Cover Sheet.
Last updated August 23, 2021.