Dean’s Role and Responsibilities
UMBC seeks a Dean for its College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences who will meaningfully advance the mission of the College, building on the College’s strengths in research and scholarly accomplishments by faculty, graduate, and undergraduate students; support continued success in the teaching mission of its two dozen academic departments and programs; and contribute to UMBC’s overall mission as a key contributor to undergraduate liberal arts education.
The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer and administrator of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. S/he reports directly to the Provost and Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
The Dean has overall responsibility for leading the College to advance excellence in teaching, research, and service in a collegial environment. Working effectively with faculty and staff representing the College’s departments, academic programs and centers, the Dean will provide visionary and innovative leadership and will supervise the College’s strategic planning and budget development; overseeing teaching, research, outreach and administration within the College. The Dean develops and promotes activities that support a large and diverse faculty, overseeing faculty recruitment and development, promotion and tenure and the appointment of departmental chair persons and research directors.
The Dean works collaboratively with deans and allied departments in other UMBC college units and with major campus-wide centers and institutes to promote innovative interdisciplinary teaching and research. S/he represents the interests of the college and the University to various constituencies both within and outside of the UMBC community. He or she also participates in campus-wide shared governance processes, is a member of the university’s leadership team, and works closely with the Office of Institutional Advancement and the Vice President of Research to seek funds from external sources to enhance the College’s teaching, research, outreach and service missions.
Qualifications and Desirable Characteristics
The successful candidate for Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences will have record that demonstrates:
- Eligibility for the rank of tenured full professor in a field within the arts, humanities or social sciences.
- Candidates should possess a strong record in teaching and research reflecting academic excellence
- Strong credentials in the management of academic affairs.
- Substantial administrative experience at a research intensive institution (chair or equivalent experience).
- The ability to articulate and implement a vision for research and creative activity in the 21st century in keeping with UMBC’s culture and mission.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership in planning, communication and organization.
Preferred candidates will be able to demonstrate or persuasively articulate:
- A commitment to, UMBC’s role and mission.
- Effective, visionary academic leadership and problem-solving skills
- A record of successful management of complex organizations and budgets
- The ability to work effectively with faculty across a broad array of disciplines, and with other senior administrators
- A commitment to both undergraduate and graduate education
- A personal and professional commitment to advancing diversity.
- Support for interdisciplinary research and degree programs.
- Ability to build and lead teams across college and university constituencies
- Entrepreneurial and innovative approaches to opportunity development.
- Commitment to shared governance.
- Commitment to excellence in teaching, research and service.
- Superior communication skills, a compelling vision for the College, and the ability to serve as a university leader.
Applications and Nominations
The Search Committee will be accepting applications, recommendations, and inquiries until the position is filled. The review of applications will begin immediately. The search will be conducted with full confidentiality of all candidate information. UMBC and the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences are committed to diversity and welcome applications and nominations of women and minorities. Salary and benefits are competitive and negotiable. Applications, nominations, and inquiries should be directed to:
Dr. Ilene H. Nagel & Mirah A. Horowitz
Consultants to the Dean Search Committee
Russell Reynolds Associates
UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran’s status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identify or expression. This policy covers, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, educational services, programs, and activities.