College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Faculty Scholarly Travel Fund Guidelines
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS) provides travel funding for the purpose of promoting faculty scholarship.
Eligibility: Any full-time, continuing faculty member in the College is eligible to receive travel support from the Dean up to two trips per fiscal year, provided that he or she is presenting, performing, or exhibiting in a professional venue. Faculty members on sabbatical are eligible for travel support. The Travel Fund is not able to provide support for contingent faculty or postdoctoral fellows.
The CAHSS Faculty Scholarly Travel Fund will match a Department’s contribution, up to $1,200, for the purposes described above. Travel expenses for meetings in support of professional service (e.g., as an officer in a professional association, as an editor for a professional journal) can be funded, also matching a Department’s contribution, up to $500.
Policies and Restrictions:
1. Awards from this fund are limited to two trips per year per faculty member.
2. Travel arrangements must follow USM and UMBC policy and procedures, including all required forms and protocols. The updated (1/2015) travel request form is available from the Financial Services & Accounting page under the link named “UMBC E-Travel Request Form” Please note that you need to be logged into MyUMBC and have an active Peoplesoft Finance account; these expire every 6 months if you do not use them, so see your Department Administrative Assistant if you have problems.
3. Travel funds may be requested for transportation, food, lodging and (in the case of conferences) registration fees. Amounts requested in each category must not exceed the maximum allowed under State guidelines. (Foreign travel cost reimbursement is also subject to State guidelines.)
4. Applications for travel awards must include
- a brief (1-2 paragraph) justification that explains how the award will substantially enhance the faculty member’s scholarship (including, if appropriate, in the scholarship of teaching and learning).
- a list of amounts being contributed from all sources toward the travel request to be supplemented by the Travel Fund. (The Travel Fund is not intended to be used in lieu of other appropriate funds. Other sources may include, but are not limited to, travel allocations in departmental budgets, other departmental operating funds, revolving accounts, and external sources such as grants and Foundation accounts. Normally, it is expected that the faculty member’s department will help defray some of the travel expenses, and that the faculty member will have made efforts to secure external support if that is a possibility.)
- a description from the Chair of funds to be provided by the Department and how any missed classes will be covered. (The chair need not attach an additional memo.) Completing the form in full with the chair’s signature indicates support of the request.
5. Applications for faculty travel should be forwarded by the Department Chair directly to the Office of the Dean.
6. Applications for travel during the current academic year may be submitted at any time, and must be received by the Dean’s Office no less than ten (10) business days prior to the travel date. (All sections must be completed before the request is processed. Incomplete forms will be returned to the Department and will result in a delay in the approval process.)
7. Receipts must be submitted to the Travel Desk within ten (10) business days following the conclusion of the trip, in accordance with USM and UMBC policy and procedures.
To download the application, click here.
Last updated July 25, 2016.